Tuesday 2 July 2013

Top Fifteen Books Of The Year So Far


I didn't have the time last Tuesday to do last week's Top Ten list, but I really liked the theme, so I'm going to cheat and do it this week instead! And since I'm already cheating... I'm doing a Top Fifteen! :-) These are all books I've read in 2013, rather than just ones published this year.

My Top Ten Fifteen Books of 2013 So Far (in no particular order)


1) The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. Magic, a circus like no other, Victorians, romance, wonderful writing... I adored this beautiful book. My review is here.


2) Any Other Name, by Emma Newman. The second in her Split Worlds trilogy. Magic and manners, evil Fae, and great characters. And here's my review.


3) The Case of the Good Looking Corpse, by Caroline Lawrence. I love this mystery series for children, set in the Wild West! My review is here.


4) Geek Girl, by Holly Smale. Very funny and observant, and a really enjoyable read. Here's my review.


5) The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester. Finally got round to reading this science fiction classic and I'm so glad I did. My review is here.


6) Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion. Zombies... with a difference! A really surprising book. My review is here.


7) The Reapers are the Angels, by Alden Bell. More zombies with a difference! My review.


8) The Other Half of the Sky, edited by Athena Andreadis. A collection of wonderful science fiction short stories. Here's my review.


9) The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes. Time-travelling serial killer! My review is here.


10) The Eternity Cure, by Julie Kagawa. Second book in her Blood of Eden series and such a fun, exciting read! My review's here.


11) Bitten, by Kelley Armstrong. Werewolves, action and romance. Here's my review.


12) The Red Knight, by K.T. Davies. Fantasy, with great characters and a gritty world. My review.


13) Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman. A collection of magical and strange short stories and poems. Here's my review.


14) Feersum Endjinn, by Ian M. Banks. My first Banks book. Recently finished reading this with the Fantasy Faction book club, and a review will come soon. I loved the ideas and world of this book.


15) The Iron King, by Julie Kagawa. An interesting and fun vision of Faeryland. My review is here.


Honourable Mention: Best Served Cold, by Joe Abercrombie. The only reason this isn't on the list is because I'm still only halfway through it. I'm loving it so much that I really wanted to include it, but I thought I probably shouldn't, seeing as I haven't actually finished it yet. However, I'm pretty sure this will be on future lists of favourite books.



2 comments:

  1. Great list! Glad to hear you enjoyed Morgenstern's Night Circus. I hope to get around to reading some of Iain Banks' books; I've been meaning to for so long now. Can't wait to read Newman's Any Other Name at some point too; I enjoyed reading the first novel btw (though omg, anxiety xP) =)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheater :P I'm telling on you, lol.
    Glad you enjoyed the Eternity Cure, I can't wait to read it. My TTT

    ReplyDelete